Saturday, May 30, 2009

The email that worked.

This is the email to the manager that ended up working. G- only contacted me once I'd filed with the BBB, prior to that they refused to talk to me because they didn't like dealing with someone who knew their tricks and the law. They lost their normal options to screw people and resorted to trying to wear me out. I did not give in.

===================================================

G-,

I appreciate you working with me to handle this matter.

The amount I calculated is $479.30 for the new check (I will destroy the old one, it has already expired many months ago anyway).

I've attached a spreadsheet with the breakdown. I left the $50 VIP credit in, since had the other erroneous charges not been there, I still would have been awarded that (as long as it didn't exceed the original deposit, of course) and just a show of good will on Richdale's part for how long they've dragged their feet.

Sorry I got a little curt on the phone, but it was a little shocking to hear you state that I had no ability to deduce that the previous tenant was not charged for damage to mini-blinds on move-out, since if they had been charged then the damaged items would have been replaced, right? Unless it is Richdale's regular practice to charge people for replacement, but not replace the damaged blinds so that they can charge the next tenant for the same damage. Is that what happened with the air ducts and why after many months no invoice could be produced that it was actually done? It'd be interesting to subpoena the previous tenant's move-out charges and see how many were duplicated on mine.

As for the comment about having to replace all the padding throughout the apartment, J- had already stated that it was only one small piece that was replaced but didn't know where other than it was in the front room (caused by the sprinkler solution), so I know your claim of pad replacement for the whole apartment is not true, and I don't particularly appreciate statements being made as fact when I've already been told something else by another employee, it forces me to question everything that is said. Also, the "excessive cat hair" as first described to me went along with the pictures from the front room, not from the air ducts. Again, had the employee waited until after the maid had come, that cat hair would not have been present. My thinking was "I'm paying $100 for the maid service, why would I vacuum first?"

If this works for you, I will remove my negative posts on my blog and add a new post indicating an agreement was met (with no specific $ amounts given). I feel that the level of treatment has been so poor that it's now approaching a year after moving out where legitimate issues have been ignored by the staff, requiring me to file with the BBB before I can talk to anyone that's serious about resolution, I'm at least owed the ability to say that much... that new blog post would be my final posting about the issue and I would stop my video interviews of previous tenants and I would consider the matter closed.

Based on my experience and that of other previous tenants (as well as direct statements made by J- that they automatically assume any damage was caused by the tenant), it would seem that Richdale's practice is to charge the resident without doing any research hoping they'll just accept the payment, ignore the resident if they pursue it until it escalates to the BBB, then attempt to gain their silence while only offering what they were already owed. Richdale wouldn't have to coerce people's silence and would also have much higher ratings on apartment rating sites if they just dealt with their tenants fairly from the start. The vast majority of the complaints published on the web by others are about how they were treated after they left.

It's taken a year of frustration to get Richdale's attention to get them to do what should have been done from the beginning, and in addition to all of the headaches, now I'm also being asked to also give up my ability to talk about it to let others know what problems they may encounter without being offered anything in return that wasn't already owed to me. The courts would allow me to get both the money and my freedom to warn others.

Imagine someone comes along and takes your wallet. After a year of hassles and being ignored, they finally tell you "OK OK, I'll give it back to you... but only if you don't tell anyone I took it." That's how Richdale sounds to me right now. That's a pretty shady business practice... it really either needs to stop or be exposed so others know to steer clear.

So to recap: You send a check for $479.30, I remove the negative posts from the blog (and revise my blog description that shows at the top of each page), I add a new post indicating we've agreed upon a settlement that we're both happy with and the matter would be closed. Sound good?

Thanks,
Paul

========
The check they sent was shy of my demand by a few dollars, thus releasing me from any moral obligation to hold up my end of the bargain. If X then Y. They chose to not do X, I therefore do not do Y. Very simple. I also stated that their practices needed to stop or be brought to light. Since they are continuing to deceive more renters after all this (honestly though, I expected that) then it must surface. I gave them their outs, they chose to not take them.

7 comments:

  1. WOW!!!! that email is AWESOME. you have guts!! standin up to the man! lol it must feel good that they gave you your money back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah, it does. But they are still out there, hurting other people without any conscience. Richdale has a bunch properties and skimming hundreds of dollars per resident on move out adds up to millions over the years. If you have no soul, it's a great way to increase revenue.

    As one would expect, the letter that accompanied the check continued to deny any wrong-doing and said (essentially) that they were giving the money back just to resolve the issue, but not because they owed it. Of course they won't admit wrong-doing since they'd be admitting to fraud. I need to get around to scanning all my documents some time and posting those as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul. I sure hope you get this message. I want to give you a round of applause for the courage, determination, perseverance, and guts it took to fight this battle for such an awfully long time. I am now in your shoes. In short- I was told they would do something to right the wrong- very next day I was presented with an excuse why they would no longer do what we all had previously agreed upon. I have resolved to just go along with whatever the outcome(last update was from Ryan stating he is NOT promising anything, but will speak with 'some" department and I would learn the outcome on tomorrow- this is definitely a lesson well learned and I remain in tact emotionally and forever hopeful- in spite of being faced with not having a place to live or being kicked out-only because of my knowing that God will take care of me like he always has. Your information has helped inspire me so much that I simply had to tell you.

      Delete
  3. hi Paul I need u r help please help me thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul,

    I wish I had read your web page Before signing with Richdale. I'm at Saddlebrook in Urbandale Iowa and So Regret moving into this box full of lies and deceit. They now want us to trash our gas grills and are using the City of Urbandale as the evil who is ordering the mandate. I spoke to the city manager earlier and they have received calls, emails and faxes from the email Richdale sent a day ago. The City has NO mandate about grill removal. No charcoal grills on balcony's or multi-family dwellings is the City's ordinance. Seems like I my have to hire an attorney after all just to get my deposit!
    Pissed Off Resident

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this, got duped into living in a Richdale slum for 10 months. Non-rennovated unit. I am anticipating that they will take my entire deposit, but I am afraid they will try to beat my door down charging me for damages that were there when I got here. I was very rushed in looking the apartment over upon move in so I got a very incomplete checklist to them (they gave me like 2 days!!!) but noticed many more small things much later. I have some pictures of some of the damages that were here when we arrived, but not all. Am I screwed?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not necessarily. Since we all know that Richdale management is full of scammers and liars, I'd still contact the BBB if they try to charge you and request from Richdale that they provide to you the previous tenant's charges for things where you're getting charged again as well as the work order and invoices to show they actually did the work they charged them for. One of the scams they run is that they charge someone upon move out for damages, but then they don't actually fix it. Then they charge the next tenant for the same damage. This is fraud and once they know you know how you could prove it in court, they'll more than likely back down because they'll know you caught them in their lie. Don't be afraid of their tactics. They're in the wrong and you have ways to prove it even if you don't have it on your move-in sheet.

    ReplyDelete